Everything about Endodontics: Treatment, Cost, and Aftercare
The tooth pulp is the connective tissue in the teeth; it consists of nerves, tissues, and blood vessels. Tooth decay may cause an inflammation of the pulp, causing severe pain. Endodontic treatment in Flower Mound aims at eliminating infections and protecting the tooth from future infection.
Who Is An Endodontist?
An Endodontist specializes in saving the tooth; they can prevent, treat, and diagnose tooth pulp and root canal issues. Some of the procedures Endodontists perform include;
- Root canal treatment
- Emergency Dental surgery
- Dental implant surgery
- Endodontic retreatment
- Tooth extraction
What is Endodontic Treatment?
Root canal treatment is a standard endodontic treatment. During this treatment, an endodontist removes the infected pulp, cleans and disinfects the teeth, and seals the tooth with a dental filling.
A root canal treatment is painless. An endodontist administers an anesthetic during the procedure to make you numb to the pain.
When Should You See An Endodontist?
If you have teeth sensitivity, especially when eating hot or cold foods, you should immediately see an endodontist. Other reasons for seeing an Endodontist include severe toothache, tooth abscess, infection, swollen jaw, tooth trauma, and chipped teeth.
What to Expect When You Visit an Endodontist
During your visit to a dental office, an endodontist will discuss your symptoms and also diagnose your teeth by carrying out tests including;
- Dental X-rays – to check the structure and details of your teeth
- Hot or cold swabs – to check for teeth sensitivity
- Tapping the teeth – to check for affected tooth and also know the extent of damage
Root Canal Treatment
During a root canal procedure, an Endodontist will;
- Place a dental dam over the teeth to isolate the affected area and also protect the mouth
- Access the pulp tissue either from the top or behind the affected tooth
- Remove the damaged pulp tissue
- Clean and reshape the root canal
- Disinfect the area to prevent future infection
- Use a rubber substance to fill and seal the area
- Place a temporary crown or filling
When to See an Endodontist after a Root Canal Treatment
Although a root canal procedure is painless, you may experience slight discomfort for few days. After the procedure, a dentist will prescribe pain relievers and medications to help you heal faster. However, you should see the Endodontist immediately if you experience lingering pain or swelling in the affected area
Root Canal Treatment Aftercare
After a root canal treatment, it is necessary to take proper care to prevent infections. Aftercare tips for root canal treatment include;
- Avoid eating extremely hard foods
- Brush twice daily. Use a soft brush and clean your teeth gently in circling motions
- Floss once a day
- Limit intake of sugary foods and drinks
- Visit a dentist frequently for checkups and professional cleanings
Where to Get a Root Canal Treatment
You can get an endodontic treatment when you visit a dental office near you. Our dentists in Flower Mound are friendly and attentive. Visit us today for quality treatment.
What Is The Cost Of A Root Canal Treatment?
The cost of a root canal treatment is dependent on factors such as;
- The dentist’s experience and location
- Consultation and X-ray fees
- Root canal location. Root canals in the back teeth are more expensive than the front teeth
- Extent of damage
- Anesthetic for the procedure
- Medication for treating and preventing further infection
On average, the cost of a root canal treatment is about $1000 without insurance. It is best to discuss with your insurance provider to know the price your insurance plan covers.
Bacteria infections in the tooth pulp can cause inflammation which requires a root canal treatment. Whenever you have a severe toothache, swollen jaws, sensitive teeth, or dental abscess, it is best to visit an Endodontist immediately. Leaving an infection untreated may lead to the inflammation of surrounding teeth and permanent tooth loss.